3.29.2005

The Experience of Blog Participation

Commenting on another person's blog--specifically someone I have absolutely no connection to--was a scary experience. I was thinking, "What if they disagree? What if they respond and embarass me?" "What if they just don't like what I have to say?" My writing process became a pained effort to make every word count when, in all reality, my comment was a response to an informal musing of the day. I worried about being meaningful, intelligent, and original, then proceeded to post my comment and hate every word of it. Even though it's electronic, I put myself on the line. I could, indeed, gain a new link for my blog roll; however, the fear of acceptance was the main emotion ruling my writing process. There's no face to read, no body language to interpret, no immediacy of response. If that person never addresses my comment to their blog, then my words will simply float in cyberspace. My stomach hurts now. Time to log off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home