10 Things I've Learned in this Class
1. Meaning is never fixed.
2. Technology is what we say it is.
3. Information architect is actually a profession.
4. Assessing the total user experience is paramount to developing products and services.
5. Other people--beside myself--feel uncomfortable/unfamiliar with online documentation.
6. Even Pixar considers pencil-and-paper brainstorming as a valuable step in design prototyping.
7. Learning the theory of online documentation is equally important as learning the practice.
8. New forms of media should attempt to supplement older forms, rather than replace them.
9. IF I had more time, I know now that I could learn a computer program by simply playing around for a few days.
10. Challenging the information and questioning the authorities presented to us by Dr. Mara is an intrinsic aspect of graduate-level studies.

1 Comments:
Chelsea, I agree with several of the points you made about learning in class, specifically:
• I also think that meaning is never truly fixed or defined. As in the term technology we come up with definitions of terms and I think that sometimes definitions change over time. Also, people define terms differently which also adds to the confusion of what a term means. I guess this shows that meanings of terms are very subjective and open to interpretation.
• I actually am not familiar with the term information architect. I think it is again other term that actually represents a technical writer. We have many different titles and roles…no wonder it is difficult for others to understand what we do.
• I completing concur that the user experience is the principal factor in developing a product. As a designer of a web site or other tool, the user is the person that we are creating our product for and obviously must be the most important factor. While considering consistency, design choices, and needed information for the user we our ensuring that our product will meet the user’s needs.
• Also, new media should completely supplement older media, not replace them. I completely agree that we should find a way to use both hard-copy and online documentation for example. Hard-copy documentation is still needed in situations when an online version may not be available and in a disaster recovery situation. But since technology is going toward more online documentation, this can create an opportunity to look at how hard-copy documentation can be updated to incorporate some of the online documentation’s ideas.
I think that we have all learned a lot in class
Angel
Post a Comment
<< Home